April 16, 2016
If we were to make a list of all the disasters that happen year after year, taking their human toll, we could come up with dozens. I’m also including personal emergencies here, but the point is, there’s so many of them. The worst part is, when talking about preparedness and preppers, Big Media is focusing on the ones that are less likely to occur, such as asteroids hitting the earth, war, total blackouts pandemics and so on.
Plus, the amount of information about survival can be overwhelming, sometimes even contradictory. There are lots of mistakes to be made... some of them are inevitable but others can easily be side-stepped by doing it right... and that means asking yourself the right questions.
The first question you need to ask yourself is:
What disaster am I preparing for?
The answer will largely determine whether you should keep doing what you’re doing or, on the contrary, to stop everything until you figure out your priorities. There are a lot of lists on the Internet with dozens or even hundreds of survival items, but blindly purchasing them won’t get you very far. Sure, you’ll be more prepared than 90% of people but you can do a lot better. Spending thousands on pre-packed food is a waste of time, as well as of money.
In what follows I’m going to give you the categories of disasters that should be top priorities for any prepper.
#1. Daily Emergencies
Most people get injured or die every single day in every single country of this planet not because of zombies but because of things like:
· food poisoning
· dog attacks
· house fire
· car, bike and boat accidents
· ...and even hiking accidents.
So the first step to preparedness is becoming more vigilant and prepared for these (more or less) random accidents that may occur.
If you go swimming regularly but you’re not very good at it or if you venture into unsafe water, you may want to reduce the risk of drowning. If you’re a bad driver, you should consider taking some lessons and practicing on your own. I also think it’s a good idea to get defensive driving lessons, they will teach you things you never knew about handling your car in emergency situations. Remember that in a bug out situation, you’re going to need to drive fast and under pressure.
This is yet another big category of personal emergencies that affect millions of people each year. 300,000 Americans are raped each year and I’m sure the number of assaults and street fights is a lot higher.
There are many ways to improve your personal security:
· you can take self-defense classes (there’s a variety of martial arts out there that you can learn)
· you can get into shape (to have a fighting chance in front of an opponent that’s bigger and stronger than you)
· you can get a gun
· a dog
· you can improve your awareness, to be able to spot trouble before it happens
· move out of a bad neighborhood
· avoid dark alleys
· avoid going to events that could take a turn for the worse (games between rival teams, political rallies)
· or you can get some alternative weapons, that won’t do much harm but might give you a few precious seconds to escape: pepper spray, tasers, a folding knife, a tactical pen and so on.
These are all common sense and easy to do.
#3. Natural Disasters
By now you probably know what the odds are of a hurricane or a tornado affecting you are, but do you know about the other natural disasters?
· thunder storms (which could lead to electric shocks and even electrocution a.k.a. death)
· ice storms
· heavy rain and snow
· ...and even landslides.
Just because they didn’t happen recently, it doesn’t mean they won’t happen again. Dig up old news stories online or even in old newspapers if you have them and see how some of these tragic deaths occurred. With so many unnatural deaths going around, the vast majority of these stories don’t make the national news. When travelling, find out the natural disasters that have affected the region and take specific precaution measures.
Talking about specific things you can do to prep for each is beyond the scope of this article, however, I want to help you figure out which of them you should prep for:
· If you consider getting a bug out location, you may want to take a look at Time.com’s map of safest counties. It’ll show you where the safest places are (U.S. only). The cool thing about the map is that it also gives you a population count for each county, in case you’re worried of an influx of people bugging out and possibly looting your home.
· Consider prepping for natural disaster at your bug out retreat. Landslides, avalanches, flooding, you may not find the perfect property, so you might take extra precaution measures to protect yourself.
· Consider prepping for all natural disasters, not just the ones that are likely to hit. This isn’t a priority, of course, but who knows when knowledge will save your life? For example, if you live in Arizona, you may not care much about snow, but if you go skiing one winter and you’re not prepared for an avalanche... enough said.
#4. Man-Made Disasters
Human beings are pretty creative when it comes to ways to destroy other human beings. This is why, when prepping for things like war or a total economic collapse, it’s time to start thinking about bugging out, living in the wilderness for longer periods of time and about ways of becoming self-sufficient.
If you don’t have a bug out location, it’s probably time to upgrade your bug out bag to an INCH bag. INCH bags are larger, have more equipment and are designed to keep you away from any home month after month.
Of course, if you’re already have plenty of, a regular bug out bag is enough. You need to start thinking about ways to grow your own food, gather your own water and ways to protect them from looters, and organized mobs who might be ruling the community in a WROL situation.
I hope made a good point of convincing you that prepping is much more than Doomsday, zombies and bunkers. There’s a whole plethora of disasters that can take your life or the life of your family members, so you have to start with the ones that are more likely to affect you first.
October 17, 2014
October 3, 2014
September 20, 2014
September 12, 2014
September 5, 2014
August 30, 2014
August 22, 2014
August 15, 2014
August 8. 2014
August 1, 2014
July 25, 2014
July 18, 2014
July 11, 2014
July 4, 2014
June 27, 2014
June 20, 2014
June 13, 2014
June 5, 2014
May 30, 2014
May 23, 2014
May 16, 2014
May 9, 2014
May 2, 2014
April 25, 2014
April 18, 2014
April 11, 2014
April 4, 2014
March 28, 2014
March 21, 2014
March 14, 2014
March 7, 2014
February 28, 2014
February 20, 2014
by Lynn J. Cheramie III, Founder
Make sure you have a plan to fortify your residence if your plan is to fight in place when SHTF. You will need the following items:
1. 1500 feet of barbed wire.
2. 1500 feet of para cord.
3. 1 1/2, 2 and 3 inch nails and screws and at least 500 large nail staples.
4. Door guards or stops for all doors in the house.
5. Long axe and hatchet.
6. Long and short sledge hammer.
8. Assortment of hammers, pliers and screwdrivers.
9. 3/4" plywood sheets to cover all windows from the outside and to be placed under every window on the inside.
10. 20 8' 2x4's.
11. Rechargeable power source.
13. 15 gallons of gas.
14. 50 medium size canning jars.
15. Lots of old rags.
16. Lots of duct tape.
17. 10 Bottles of insanely hot hot sauce. The hottest you can find.
18. 2 super water guns.
19. Save at least 100 old soda cans.
20. Buy pea size and marble size ball bearings. Lots of them.
21. 1500 feet of 8 pound test clear fishing line.
22. Remote video camera's for each side of the residence.
23. Cigarette or cigar lighters.
24. Heat resistent gloves that fight your hand tightly.
25. Gas masks for everyone if possible.
Steps to fortify your residence:
1. Take your fishing line and string through your soda cans. Place 3 or 4 pea size ball bearings in each can. Wrap your line around trees, boulders and fences as far away from your residence as possible. Make sure it is about mid thigh high and that the cans are placed behind objects so the intruders can't see them. This will give you your first warning.
2. Place remote video cameras at strategic locations on each side of the residence. Place them high and out of sight.
3. Use your chainsaw to cut down trees around the perimeter of your residence. DON'T TAKE OFF BRANCHES. Make sure they overlap and that you have at least 2 escape routes for your vehicle that only you can see. Place at least 100 yards from your residence or as far as you can get it. If you don't have trees develop your landscaping with railroad ties, boulders, fencing, etc. that you can use later for this purpose.
4. Attach the barbwire to the logs with large nail staples.
5. Take some of the 2X4's pound 3" nails through them at various locations without splitting the wood. Bury them 3 feet behind the logs upside down with the tips of the nail barely breaking the surface. DO NOT PACK THE DIRT. The intention is to have someone step on the nail in lose dirt and hopefully it will go into the foot. Don't put in a straight line but in a zig zag formation.
6. Please door guards and stops on all doors and replace the existing screws on your doors with 2" screws.
7. Take your plywood and screw over your windows with the exception of a 6 inch gap at the bottom and one window on each side of the house. The last 4 windows you will only cover the bottom half with the plywood. This will leave you a throwing hole on each side of the house.
8. Take more plywood and place it under each window on the inside and screw into the making sure to hit some of those studs. This won't stop a bullet but couples with your homes material and your plywood it may slow it down enough to keep you alive. Remember most intruders come with handguns or shotguns so they would have to be close to penetrate everything.
9. Take your jars and fill them all with gas and seal them shut. Duct Tape one end of a rag to the bottom of each jar. You now have 50 Molotov Cocktails. Light and throw at your target.
10. Mix a couple of bottles of hot sauce with a gallon of water and load into your water guns. These can be used out of your throwing holes on targets up to 20 yards away. Aim for the face.
11. Place the marble size ball bearings on all sidewalks, driveways, entry ways and porches on the outside of your house.
Not one of these will keep everyone away but all of them together will eliminate most intruders. You can add your own items as you like or develop an entirely new plan, BUT HAVE ONE! Remember in this type situation there are no prisoners. Everyone must be killed or they will kill you and take everything. If you've already formed a group you have to trust those people with your life. Don't try to befriend anyone unless it's your family after SHTF.
Next Week: Weapons
HOW TO ADJUST DRAW WEIGHT ON YOUR BOW
SELECTING FEATHERS FOR YOUR ARROWS
CHOOSING THE RIGHT ARROWS
INTRODUCTION TO BOW MAKING
INTRODUCTION TO ARROW MAKING
HOW TO STORE GAS
Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Survival / Bushcraft Knife - REVIEW
Great information!! Cinnamon and Honey...!Drug companies.... won't like this one getting around.
Facts on Honey and Cinnamon:
It is found that a mix of honey and cinnamon cures most diseases. Honey is produced in most of the countries of the world. Scientists of today also note honey as very effective medicine for all kinds of diseases. Honey can be used without side effects which is also a plus.Today's science says that even though honey is sweet, when it is taken in the right dosage as a medicine, it does not harm even diabetic patients. Researched by western scientists:
HEART DISEASES: Make a paste of honey and cinnamon powder, put it on toast instead of jelly and jam and eat it regularly for breakfast. It reduces the cholesterol and could potentially save one from heart attack. Also, even if you have already had an attack studies show you could be kept miles away from the next attack. Regular use of cinnamon honey strengthens the heart beat. In America and Canada, various nursing homes have treated patients successfully and have found that as one ages the arteries and veins lose their flexibility and get clogged; honey and cinnamon revitalize the arteries and the veins.
ARTHRITIS: Arthritis patients can benefit by taking one cup of hot water with two tablespoons of honey and one small teaspoon of cinnamon powder. When taken daily even chronic arthritis can be cured. In a recent research conducted at the Copenhagen University, it was found that when the doctors treated their patients with a mixture of one tablespoon Honey and half teaspoon Cinnamon powder before breakfast, they found that within a week (out of the 200 people so treated) practically 73 patients were totally relieved of pain -- and within a month, most all the patients who could not walk or move around because of arthritis now started walking without pain.
BLADDER INFECTIONS: Take two tablespoons of cinnamon powder and one teaspoon of honey in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it. It destroys the germs in the bladder....who knew?
CHOLESTEROL: Two tablespoons of honey and three teaspoons of Cinnamon Powder mixed in 16 ounces of tea water given to a cholesterol patient was found to reduce the level of cholesterol in the blood by 10 percent within two hours. As mentioned for arthritic patients, when taken three times a day, any chronic cholesterol-could be cured. According to information received in the said Journal, pure honey taken with food daily relieves complaints of cholesterol.
COLDS: Those suffering from common or severe colds should take one tablespoon lukewarm honey with 1/4 spoon cinnamon powder daily for three days. This process will cure most chronic cough, cold, and, clear the sinuses, and it's delicious too!
UPSET STOMACH: Honey taken with cinnamon powder cures stomach ache and also is said to clear stomach ulcers from its root.
GAS: According to the studies done in India and Japan, it is revealed that when Honey is taken with cinnamon powder the stomach is relieved of gas.
IMMUNE SYSTEM: Daily use of honey and cinnamon powder strengthens the immune system and protects the body from bacterial and viral attacks. Scientists have found that honey has various vitamins and iron in large amounts. Constant use of Honey strengthens the white blood corpuscles (where DNA is contained) to fight bacterial and viral diseases.
INDIGESTION: Cinnamon powder sprinkled on two tablespoons of honey taken before food is eaten relieves acidity and digests the heaviest of meals
INFLUENZA: A scientist in Spain has proved that honey contains a natural 'Ingredient' which kills the influenza germs and saves the patient from flu.
LONGEVITY: Tea made with honey and cinnamon powder, when taken regularly, arrests the ravages of old age. Use four teaspoons of honey, one teaspoon of cinnamon powder, and three cups of boiling water to make a tea. Drink 1/4 cup, three to four times a day. It keeps the skin fresh and soft and arrests old age. Life spans increase and even a 100 year old will start performing the chores of a 20-year-old.
RASPY OR SORE THROAT: When throat has a tickle or is raspy, take one tablespoon of honey and sip until gone. Repeat every three hours until throat is without symptoms.
PIMPLES: Three tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder paste. Apply this paste on the pimples before sleeping and wash it off the next morning with warm water. When done daily for two weeks, it removes all pimples from the root.
SKIN INFECTIONS:Applying honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts on the affected parts cures eczema, ringworm and all types of skin Infections.
WEIGHT LOSS:Daily in the morning one half hour before breakfast and on an empty stomach, and at night before sleeping, drink honey and cinnamon powder boiled in one cup of water. When taken regularly, it reduces the weight of even the most obese person. Also, drinking this mixture regularly does not allow the fat to accumulate in the body even though the person may eat a high calorie diet.
CANCER: Recent research in Japan and Australia has revealed that advanced cancer of the stomach and bones have been cured successfully. Patients suffering from these kinds of cancer should daily take one tablespoon of honey with one teaspoon of cinnamon powder three times a day for one month.
FATIGUE: Recent studies have shown that the sugar content of honey is more helpful rather than being detrimental to the strength of the body. Senior citizens who take honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts are more alert and flexible. Dr. Milton, who has done research, says that a half tablespoon of honey taken in a glass of water and sprinkled with cinnamon powder, even when the vitality of the body starts to decrease, when taken daily after brushing and in the afternoon at about 3:00 P.M., the vitality of the body increases within a week.
BAD BREATH: People of South America, gargle with one teaspoon of honey and cinnamon powder mixed in hot water first thing in the morning so their breath stays fresh throughout the day.
HEARING LOSS: Daily morning and night honey and cinnamon powder, taken in equal parts restores hearing.
be sure to click SHARE so it will store on your personal page.
For more healthy recipes, tips, motivation and fun, join us here: Charles Sims Weight Loss
MAKING YOUR HOME A HAVEN OF SECURITY
By Marjorie Haun November 14,2012
The institutions of the United States of America are faltering and the federal government is now the enemy of liberty here and throughout the world. Economic problems are compounded by regulations, high corporate taxes and the Obama Administration's War on Energy. We have always known that an economic storm was brewing and we pronounced, "It's not if itwill happen, the question is when." The answer to that question is now.
The election of 2012 has been stolen through rigged voting machines, neglected Military ballots, and widespread and varied forms of voter fraud. The government of the United States is in a state of chaos and cannot be depended upon to care for the needs of its citizens. We're on our own to meet the challenges that face us in literally a matter of weeks. Follow these simple steps to take control of your well-being and safety, as well as that of your family, and to provide an example to your friends, neighbors, and co-workers.
OBTAIN A 3-MONTH SUPPLY OF FOOD, MEDICINE, DRY GOODS, AND OTHER DAILY ESSENTIALS:
Medicine and Personal Hygiene: Obtain a 90-day supply of the following and store it securely away from moisture and heat.
OBTAIN A 3-MONTH SUPPLY OF FOOD, MEDICINE, DRY GOODS, AND OTHER DAILY ESSENTIALS:
Medicine and Personal Hygiene: Obtain a 90-day supply of the following and store it securely away from moisture and heat.
· OTC Pain killers and anti-inflammatories (Tylenol, Advil, Aspirin)
· 90 day supply of prescription medications (many pharmacies offer discounts on a 90-day supply)
· Dietary supplements, especially essentials like calcium, vitamin C, etc.
· Feminine supplies, diapers, wipes, toilet paper, paper towels, tissues
· OTC Allergy medications, topical anti-allergy creams, Epi-pen (with a prescription) if needeD
· OTC Cold and flu medications
· Topical antibiotic ointment
· Epsom salts, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, witch hazel, mineral oil, aloe vera gel
· Tooth paste, dental floss, soap, deodorant, razors, shampoo, lotion, etc.
· Laundry and dish detergent, cleaning supplies, rags
· Garbage bags
· Other dry goods or pharmacy items that you expect to use a few times per year
Pantry supplies: Buy what you eat and involve your family in making your long-term storage choices. Obtain a 90-day supply of basic food and supplies for your pets. All of the following items have a shelf life of much longer than 90 days. Be sure to store them in a cool place with a stable temperature (garages are not good) away from light.
· Canned meats; tuna, chicken, Spam, salmon, etc. (only what your family will eat)
· Dried meats such as jerky, chipped beef, summer sausage, salami, pepperoni
· Velveeta or a similar processed cheese product
· Powdered cheese
· Wet canned vegetables, tomatoes, beans, condiments, and fruit
· Easy to prepare dry boxed meals and side dishes (Macaroni and Cheese is great because it is comfort food.)
· Canned soups and stews
· Dried pasta and a variety of bottled or canned pasta sauces
· Instant potatoes
· Dried beans
· Dried fruit, raisins
· Boxed Jello and pudding desserts
· Boxed cake, muffin, dessert, and cookie mixes (treats and comfort foods have a lot of psychological value during times of stress)
· Boxed cereal, oatmeal, cream-of-wheat, cracked wheat, etc.
· Complete pancake mix, biscuit mix
· Flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, arrowroot
· Sugars, honey, molasses, corn syrup
· Powdered drinks, hot cocoa, fruit drinks, powdered milk, other preferences such as coffee or tea
· Evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk
· Baby food and formula
· Peanut butter, Nutella, salted nuts
· Condiments, salt, pepper, herbs, spices, vegetable oil, olive oil, shortening, peanut butter, jams, jellies, syrups, ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, pickles, olives, capers, picante sauce, hot sauces, and other condiments that you use on a regular basis
· Packaged gravy mixes and bouillons
For your freezer: Properly wrapped meats and other foods will last in a freezer well over 90 days. The key to making your freezer an effective tool for home storage is to Store what you Eat, and Eat what you Store. If there is empty space in your freezer, fill the spaces with 3/4 full water bottles. Your freezer will be more efficient when it is filled with frozen items and, if your lose power for a time, the food will stay frozen longer, up to 72 hours if you leave the freezer door closed.
· Cured meats such as ham, sausages, bacon, etc.
· Frozen fruits and vegetables
· Prepared foods such as pizzas
· Butter, margarine, cream cheese, block cheese, shredded cheese
· Sealed packages of pork, beef or poultry
· Breads, bagels
· Candy bars
· Ice cream (don't underestimate the value of comforting treats, especially if you have children)
· Bags of flour, biscuit or pancake mix (placing these items in the freezer greatly extends their shelf life and will fill up the empty space that may make your freezer less efficient)
· A basic first aid kit
· Several flashlights with batteries, tactical flashlights, emergency candles or lamps, fuel, matches or lighters
· If you have an outdoor grill, keep it well maintained and the fuel tank full
· Sternos, a hibachi or other simple cooking devices
· A battery powered or crank up radio S
· Short wave "HAM" radio and trained operator within your circle of friends or church group
· Obtain and store seeds properly
· Obtain basic gardening implements
· Become educated about gardening basics
· Teach your children how to work in a garden and enjoy the process of growing food
Obtain firearms and learn how to use them. Know how to care for them, store them, and receive proper training so that you will be psychologically prepared to use them! Social chaos is often a life and death struggle and frightened, hungry people will try to get rid of you and take your stuff.
The policies of the Obama Administration are designed to squeeze ordinary Americans into desperation and dependence. Food and fuel prices are skyrocketing. At best, our home storage will feed us as we sacrifice other luxuries in order to afford the things we need to sustain our home economies. At worst, our lives will depend up on what we do today to prepare. We can defend against the garrote of Socialism at our throats through personal preparedness. Everything on these lists can be obtained at supermarkets, wholesale clubs, coops, or online specialty stores. Act now. We have only a few weeks to prepare for the Fiscal Cliff.
The only governments we can depend upon are those layers of government closest to the individual: ourselves, family, church, neighborhood, community, and county. There will be great peace and safety in acting now to make your home a refuge from the storm.